Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Government Island/naturalist observation/beaver sighting

Welcome to the Government Island Blog.  My name is Maria C, and I am a volunteer with the Central Rappahannock Chapter of the Virginia Master Naturalist Program.  I am part of a team that conducts nature walks at Government Island. The Island is a fascinating little chunk of nature that amazes me every time I go.  Through this blog I hope to open up a world of nature that many of you may not have known existed in your backyard.  I also hope to see you at one of our monthly nature walks. 





Today's entry should be titled "Beaver Love." On Monday (July 23) evening, along the creek, Austin Run, I was drawn to some ripples in the water.  Investigating from the creek bank, I observed not one, but two adult beavers.  They were most likely a mated pair by the way they gently nuzzled and appeared to be grooming each other. 
These beavers are local residents of the creek and unfazed by humans in relative close proximity. (Here I must add that you should always remember no matter how calm and cute they appear, wild animals are WILD animals.  Respect their personal space and never approach any closer than a minimum of 10 feet.  Never approach at all if they are potentially dangerous, like a bear).  The love-beavers eventually swam up creek towards the bridge, where one of them crawled onto the bank, gathered a mouthful of vegetation, dragged it back into the water, and disappeared under the bank. Incidentally, they disappeared into the same spot into which I have seen the muskrat disappear.  (A tale for a later blog!).  For over 15 minutes I enjoyed the beavers of GI.  I  feel privileged to have observed what appeared to be affection shared between two wild animals. Next time you go to GI, keep your eyes open for ripples in the water...who knows what you may see.

Maria C., naturalist

1 comment: